Just trying to make out the Sybase ASE 12.5 to ASE 15.0 upgrade check list.
If any point is missing,any recommendation/suggestions. please comment it out below.
Thanks n Happy Learning Sybase.
PS: Please take the backup of tables, files, dirs before making any changes. Below steps can be changed for working environment/platform. Before doing on Prod, first proceed with dev env.
ASE 15.x Intsallation :
1. Please first read all the plateform requirement, os patch level before ASE15x installation.
If any patch is recommended, please get it apply with Unix team.
2. Install Adaptive Server 15x into its installation directory other than ASE 12.5.
3. run ./setup to install ASE15x – Just install Binary – do not create any Instance.
run ./setup –console in command mode, do not create any instance here.
Pre Upgrade Tasks:
1. Please run dbcc checkdb, dbcc checkalloc and dbcc checkcatalog in single user mode with fix option,
and make sure that there is no Errors from the check, if there is any Error, Please Fix the problem. It is critical for successful migration.
2. Backup database and Dump Transaction Logs.
3. bcp system tables out
syslogins, sysloginroles, sysusages, sysservers, sysdatabases, sysdevices
4. Ensure that Instance has sybsystemdb if it does not exist, create it.
5. Disable auditing using Command
Sp_Configure ‘auditing’, 0
6. Save the current audit settings for the pre-15.0.2 Adaptive Server using the command:
7. There are recommendation to set allow password downgrade’ to 1 – in case we want to downgrade from 15.0.2 to 12.5.4 again – but not required in my case.
Because encryption algo is changed in ASE 15.
8. Extract databse devices and databases creation scripts using ddlgen,Sybase Central.
9. Save sp_configure output.
10.Save data cache information.
11. Make sure, ASE is configured with enough lock structures for the upgrade process to complete successfully,
it is strongly recommended that you perform the following steps:
a) In every user database, execute the following query:
1> select 2 * (count(*)) + 100 from systabstats
b) Record the highest value returned
c) If the value from Step 2 above is less than the current number of configured lock structures,
then increase the configured value to the value from Step 2, as shown below:
1> sp_configure ‘number of locks”,
12. Take the backup of cronjobs and comment out/suspend all the dba maint jobs and application jobs in cron/autosys.
13. Please make sure there is no user activity on the server.
14. Lock all the User and Application ID, functinal ids, system ids: repserver dbo.
Must take the bcp out of syslogins before changing it.
EXEC sp_configure ‘allow updates to system tables’,1
select ‘update syslogins set status = 2 where name = “‘ + name+'”‘ from syslogins
where name not in (“hauser”,”probe”,”probe_sybase”,”sa”)
order by name
15. Setup black out/define green zone to avoid alerts. (optional).
16. Create a new profile named as .profile_15 in sybase home directory by copying ASE 15x SYBASE.sh .
Verify that your SYBASE environment variable points to the location of the new Adaptive Server software files you just installed.
set the OLDSYBASE, OLDSYBASE_ASE, and OLDSYBASE_OCS environment variables to the location of the server you are upgrading,
to avoid any possibe error during sqlupgraderes.
17. Make a backup of existing .profile and move it with .profile_12.5
18. preugrade test : preupgrade is need to run for upgrade elibibilty test for fixing error/warning before actual upgrade;
preupgrade is exe which is loacted under /ase15_0/upgrade/.
i)If you are in 12.5 enviorment ( by executing .profile_12.5), go in the below mentioned dir and issue the below command.
/ASE-15_0/upgrade> preupgrade -S -Usa
ii) If you are in 15x env, (by executing .profile_15), please copy the interfaces filefrom 12.5 dir to 15x dir.
Then run the above command.
19. Run Preupgrde test: It may recommends lot of warning, errors for your databases and config params.
Please fix all these errors until all is not resolved and get it confirm with preupgrade test.
20. Fix all reported errors and repeat preupgrade process until no error. And see the sentence as below.
Preupgrade of Adaptive Server to 15.0 is complete.
Upgrade eligibility test succeeded.